New York Medical College – Alumni House
20 Sunshine Cottage Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Presenter: Amy Silverman, MD
Core III: “Assessment and Treatment of Depression in Children and Adolescents”
Child and adolescent depression is the focus of the third core training program. Participants should be able to:
- Explain the data that led to the Black Box Warning for SSRI’s, with an understanding of the safety and efficacy of antidepressant use in children and adolescents.
- Identify with the diagnostic criteria, assessment tools, and clinical reality of adolescent depression.
- Apply evidence-based treatments for adolescent depression, including the effective application of antidepressant medications.
Core IV: “The Diagnosis & Treatment of Pediatric Bipolar Disorder” & “The Management of Aggression in Children & Adolescents”
The final event of this series will provide tools to diagnose and treat bipolar disorder, while also taking a closer look at how to manage all forms of aggression as it unfolds in your pediatric patients. Throughout this program, participants should:
- Recognize and differentiate between pediatric bipolar disorder and other mental health disorders with similar clinical presentations.
- Explain the use of rating scales to assist with ruling-in, or ruling-out, bipolar disorder in children, as well as the treatment algorithms and evidence-based medications used to treat bipolar disorder.
- Differentiate between pediatric behavioral health issues that present with aggression, and learn effective psychopharmacological approaches for clinical aggression.
Dinner will be provided.
Seating preference will be given to those working in Primary Care or Pediatrics.